POLPOX/Sandbox2 – User

From Bohemia Interactive Community
Jump to navigation Jump to search
(Arma Dictionary #2 idea)
No edit summary

(7 intermediate revisions by 2 users not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
The idea of this dic is to list frequently-used Arma related terms, and outside of the game than [[Arma: Dictionary]] that is to mainly cover the lore terms.
So uh. This is rough idea so far - feel free to give any idea

{| class="wikitable sortable"
== Arma 3: Scripts, Configs and Addons walkthrough ==
! Type
=== Overall idea ===
! Name
Give a newcommer some idea of how these works. Not a document, but a tutorial. A walkthrough even.<br>
! Meaning
(Note: ''document'' here is ''telling technical terms, techs etc'', and ''walkthrough'' here is ''you just want a bit of progress eh? do this, I'll explain later how it works, just try this for now''. Like PMCwiki's terrain tutorial)
! Description/Notes
=== Why? ===
! Scope
I always feel '''make an achievement/progress is much much important''' before knowing anything, knowing what is a [[Boolean]]. There are a LOT of tutorials without some walkthrough guides (including BIKI even [[Introduction to Arma Scripting]]). Which can make people confused very easily.<br>
|-
Nobody is going to hop into SQF after how an [[Array]] works. They just wanted to know how to do something beforehands.<br>
| Gameplay
We also need to teach and make the newcommer at least a little bit mature. I'm not after a shitty tutorials like mobile games often do, but ''teach''.<br>
| Action Menu
<br>
| The menu accessible with Scroll Wheel
I just don't want people overwhelmed by telling a LOT of terms and unknown things at once.
| Often called Scroll Wheel Menu
=== How it works ===
| Arma Series (Prior to Reforger)
# '''Do this''' (Please do this without doubt. So you'll achieve a Hello World)
|-
# '''Teach terms and things you need to know''' (Init can run a SQF script. This is where you start your SQF - put a code and it will run)
| Technical
# '''Explain''' ([[hint]] is a command to show a hint message on the screen)
| Mod
=== What kind of things can be listed? ===
| '''Mod'''ification
* '''Introduce into SQF'''
| AKA '''Addon''', a set of files that modifies the game
** What it can do?
| Gaming Industry
* '''Hello World'''
|-
** Run a very basic command. Now you made your first script
| Technical
* '''Do some obvious trick'''
| Vanilla
** setPos etc to make a visually-obvious changes into the mission
| Vanilla game
| Non-modded game. The term is after the “default” flavor vanilla icecream.
| Gaming Industry
|-
| Technical
| Modpack
| Mod pack
| Repacked Mods into one Mod either with or without permission. '''This is not a recommended way to manage Mods''' since it can make bunch of issues e.g Mods version mismatch/outdated/theft.
| Gaming Industry
|-
| Hardware
| HOTAS
| '''H'''ands '''O'''n '''T'''hrottle-'''A'''nd-'''S'''tick
| AKA '''Joystick'''.
| Gaming Industry
|-
|}

* '''Make a new music'''
** Introduce into config through [[Description.ext]]

[[Category: Armaverse|DICTIONARY]]
* '''Make a difference'''
** Making a PBO with a very basic config, like, just one ''displayName'' update etc
etc
=== Expected audiences ===
* people who doesn't really know how a programming would work even
* people who doesn't have a ''better'' text editor even
* people who doesn't have an experience with scripting or configuring

Latest revision as of 10:55, 4 October 2024

So uh. This is rough idea so far - feel free to give any idea

Arma 3: Scripts, Configs and Addons walkthrough

Overall idea

Give a newcommer some idea of how these works. Not a document, but a tutorial. A walkthrough even.
(Note: document here is telling technical terms, techs etc, and walkthrough here is you just want a bit of progress eh? do this, I'll explain later how it works, just try this for now. Like PMCwiki's terrain tutorial)

Why?

I always feel make an achievement/progress is much much important before knowing anything, knowing what is a Boolean. There are a LOT of tutorials without some walkthrough guides (including BIKI even Introduction to Arma Scripting). Which can make people confused very easily.
Nobody is going to hop into SQF after how an Array works. They just wanted to know how to do something beforehands.
We also need to teach and make the newcommer at least a little bit mature. I'm not after a shitty tutorials like mobile games often do, but teach.

I just don't want people overwhelmed by telling a LOT of terms and unknown things at once.

How it works

1. Do this (Please do this without doubt. So you'll achieve a Hello World)
  2. Teach terms and things you need to know (Init can run a SQF script. This is where you start your SQF - put a code and it will run)
  3. Explain (hint is a command to show a hint message on the screen)

What kind of things can be listed?

• Introduce into SQF
    • What it can do?
  • Hello World
    • Run a very basic command. Now you made your first script
  • Do some obvious trick
    • setPos etc to make a visually-obvious changes into the mission
  • Make a difference
    • Making a PBO with a very basic config, like, just one displayName update etc

etc

Expected audiences

• people who doesn't really know how a programming would work even
  • people who doesn't have a better text editor even
  • people who doesn't have an experience with scripting or configuring