Added a note about the need for unit parameter to be local. Something I discovered, if anyone can confirm, ty :) --Whisper 16:19, 25 July 2006 (CEST)
Ceeeb, could you provide some sort of support for your assertion that the information from General Barron is false, the information you removed from this command I mean? Planck 04:42, 13 February 2007 (CET)
- Sure! Please note the information I removed was stated as only applying to OFP, as does the replacement info.
- "Once the target goes out of sight of the unit, his knowsAbout value doesn't instantly go back down. Rather, it slowly decreases, taking maybe a couple of minutes to go from 4 to 0."
- The old info suggests the reduction rate is linear, which is not strictly true. My note contains more correct information on what happens in this scenario.
- "So if a unit spots you, and you then teleport yourself to the other side of the island, his knowsAbout value on you could still be 3 or higher."
- This is not true, assuming "the other side of the island" = a distance larger than the viewdistance setting. Again, my note contains more exact information about what happens in this scenario. I think precise information is more useful without conflicting, misleading information on the same page. --Ceeeb 05:12, 13 February 2007 (CET)
Ok......I believe you.......until someone posts something in contradiction...... ;)
Planck 05:22, 13 February 2007 (CET)
I think that the detailed information that was in the notes was maybe too much for a command note. But the information there was very good perhaps a more indepth article is needed for AI where these topics can be detailed in length? hoz
Where is a group local? Can someone post a remark about that? -- Manny 18:49, 14 March 2007 (CET)
- I'm no expert on locality, but in my experience groups either do not have locality or are local to all clients. The local command only works on objects, and a group based command like move will work when used on a group made of entirely of non-local units. How does your question relate to knowsAbout? --Ceeeb 02:10, 15 March 2007 (CET)
- Ah, never noticed that before. FWIW, in my testing OFP knowsAbout seems to work accurately on non-local units that are within a certain distance of the player (or maybe one of his local units?), possibly again related to the viewdistance. I will try to test ArmA but its harder without a decent console. --Ceeeb 07:10, 15 March 2007 (CET)